STATIC CARAVAN INSURANCE QUOTES
We’ve made it easy to compare static caravan insurance quotes from top insurers. Get a quote for any type of caravan, including: Single Unit, Twin Unit, Chalet, Lodge and Park Home.
TOURING CARAVAN INSURANCEGet Quotes
DO YOU NEED INSURANCE FOR A STATIC CARAVAN?
If you own a static caravan then you are not legally required to insure it. However if you’re caravan is damaged, destroyed or if you’re a victim of theft then you will not be liable to receive any compensation. Static caravan insurance can help to protect you and your caravan from unforeseen risks, so is a worthwhile purchase for most owners. In addition, some caravan parks and storage facilities may insist that you have a valid insurance policy in place.
Static caravans are designed to spend most of their life in one place, they can be transported by a HGV but cannot be towed. If you own a touring caravan, even if you do not tow it, then you may want to consider a touring caravan insurance policy to protect your possession.
What cover options are available?
There are two different types of cover available for static caravans:
New for old cover – This ensures that if your caravan is stolen or damaged beyond repair it can be replaced with a new caravan of the same make/model and specification. When you get quotes you’ll need to make sure that the sum insured reflects the full replacement value of an equivalent new caravan.
Market value – In the event of a total loss, you will be able to claim up to the current market value of the caravan at the date of the incident. Again, you’ll need to ensure that you give the correct value of the caravan when you get quotes. If you’re not sure then you can check the value of equivalent caravans online, or check with a local dealer or expert.
Depending on the age of your caravan, some insurers may only offer market value cover. When you compare static caravan insurance quotes you can switch between the two types of cover, to see which is right for you.
When you get quotes, you can also include cover for the contents and equipment you keep in your caravan, or the possessions you take out with you:
Caravan Contents & Personal effects – Contents cover protects the items you keep in your caravan, whilst personal effects extends to items you take with you. Check your home insurance policy before you compare caravan insurance quotes, as you might already be covered.
High Risk Items – You’ll also have the option to add cover for high risk items such as bicycles and items typically worn/carried about the person e.g. clothing, jewellery, watches, tablets. Again, it’s worth checking your existing insurance policies to make sure you’re not doubling up on cover.
Caravan equipment – This provides cover for additional equipment which is specific to your caravan, and only used for caravanning. This can include things like steps, water carriers, bedding, cooking equipment, folding tables, deckchairs, TVs.
Awnings – You can also add cover for your awning. Some insurers may only cover the awning whilst the caravan is in use and not in storage. If you’re not sure then it’s worth checking with the insurer after you get quotes.
This provides at least £50,000 of legal expenses cover in the event that you have to take legal action following a claim that was not your fault (e.g. to recover losses for a personal injury, your excess, or travel expenses).
What do our customers say?Reviews.co.uk
How much does it cost to insure a static caravan?
The average cost of static caravan insurance is around £140* but the actual price you’ll pay depends on a number of factors including the type of caravan you’re trying to insure, where it’s kept and your claims history. When you compare static caravan insurance you’ll be asked a number of questions to help insurers calculate your premium, such as:
- Type of caravan – There are several different types of static caravan, from small single unit statics to large twin unit parkhomes. Generally speaking, larger caravans tend to be more expensive to insure.
- Caravan age and value – Your caravan’s age and value can not only affect the price you pay, but also the type of cover you can get. Most insurers will only offer New for Old cover for static caravans under 5 years old.
- Where you keep your caravan – Try to keep your static caravan on a well maintained, registered site with good security features such as perimiter fencing, CCTV, wardens and gates. If you keep your caravan on a site at risk of flooding then consider fitting a flotation device.
- Claims history – Building up a good no claims history can help to reduce your premiums. Some insurers will also take into account your claims history for home insurance.
* Average top quote for customer Jan-Jun 2020
How can I get lower cost static caravan insurance?
If you’re looking for lower cost static caravan insurance then there are a few things you can do:
- Invest in better security – Most modern caravans already come with alarms and immobilisers but some older models may not have one. Some parks may be able to fit an alarm to your caravan
- Don’t double up on cover – Check your existing home insurance policy before you get a new quote. Your contents and possessions may already be covered.
- Shop around – It’s a good idea to compare static caravan insurance quotes at least once a year. Sticking with your current insurer may be convenient but it isn’t always good value. Get quotes around 21 days in advance of your renewal date to maximise your chances of getting a lower cost quote.