When your car is declared off-road and SORN, you don’t need to tax or insure it. However, you might still want to protect your vehicle, without forking out for a standard car insurance policy. Laid up car insurance (aka Sorn Insurance) can help protect your vehicle from fire, theft or damage even when it’s SORN. 

Do I need insurance for a SORN vehicle?

If money is no issue then you can of course just insure and tax your vehicle as normal, even if you know that your car isn’t going to be used for a while. However you may be spending more money than you need to. 

Alternatively, you could save money by not paying for car tax or car insurance. Instead you can buy specific SORN polices that cover the vehicle against fire and theft. You don’t need to purchase SORN insurance, but it could help give you peace of mind that you won’t be left out of pocket if your vehicle is damaged or stolen.

What does Laid Up Car Insurance cost?

When your car is SORN it is not allowed to be driven. This means you are much less likely of making a claim and could therefore be seen as “low risk”. Laid up car insurance therefore generally costs less than normal car insurance. 

However just like standard car insurance, the cost of laid up car insurance depends on a host of other risk factors. The type and value of your car, where you live, and your claims history all play a part.